General Director (Symphony San Jose)
Reporting to the board of directors, the General Director will provide strategic leadership and artistic management.
They will oversee all of The Symphony’s artistic and business operations, including artistic planning and season
programming, fundraising and donor relations, external communications, and board and community relations. The
General Director will build positive relationships with a range of stakeholders, including artists, audiences, funders,
staff, and board members, and will be committed to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and access.
Role and Responsibilities
Artistic Planning and Season Programming
▪ Conceive, plan, and shape an engaging season for all attendees that both honors the beloved works of the
classical canon and embraces and highlights other genres.
▪ Program repertoire that is accessible, encourages growth in audience development, and welcomes those from
a diversity of racial and socioeconomic backgrounds within the community.
▪ Identify and hire a diverse roster of guest conductors and soloists who continue to advance the level of artistic
▪ Collaborate with the Artistic Committee, comprised of five musicians within the orchestra, in making all major
▪ Embrace other artistic and season programming responsibilities as needed.
External Relations and Community Engagement
▪ Serve as a visible external ambassador—overcoming barriers of languages, culture, and traditions—to build
relationships with the many constituencies and communities throughout the San Jose area.
▪ Cultivate, develop, and deepen relationships with local organizations, including Opera San José, other key
cultural institutions, and the business community.
▪ Prioritize the growth of contributed revenue through increasing grants from foundations and corporations,
cultivating relationships with individual patrons and donors, and creating fundraising events.
▪ Advocate for arts education by liaising with local school districts to support and implement arts education
programs in the community and enhancing programming to ensure that students of all ages attend The Symphony performances.
▪ Embrace other external relations and community engagement responsibilities as needed.
Organizational Management and Board Governance
▪ Conduct an organization-wide evaluation to assess and revise the organizational structure, ensuring that staff
and departments are properly positioned and key administrative roles are hired.
▪ Oversee the marketing department, helping to implement new and innovative marketing strategies and
communication initiatives to raise earned income and increase relevance to the broader community.
▪ Supervise, train, and mentor staff, ensuring that The Symphony is a safe space for all people, where diversity,
equity, inclusion, and access are fully valued.
▪ Expand and diversify the board of directors, keeping members regularly updated and engaged in accordance
with their skills and interests.
▪ Embrace other organizational management and board governance responsibilities as needed.
Applications and Inquiries
To submit a cover letter and resume with a summary of demonstrable accomplishments (electronic submissions
preferred), please click here or visit artsconsulting.com/employment. For questions or general inquiries about this
job opportunity, please contact:
Geoff Chang, Vice President
501 West Broadway, Suite A-582
San Diego, CA 92101
Tel (888) 234.4236 Ext. 218